Monday, March 5, 2012

Knud Reimers, Tumlaren

Flygburen 
This is Flygburen. Flygburen is a Tumlaren. A 27', double ended sloop. The Tumlaren design was created by Knud Reimers in the 1930's.

In 1985 my father, Richard and I got a wild hair about building a sailboat. I'd previously never done such a thing, however my father had built several boats through the years.

Filled with zeal and unrealistic optimism, we set forth on what we believed would be a two year process. But life does occasionally offer up obstacles that delay even the best of plans. The combination of building outside in the Pacific Northwest, one plodding worker and one easily distracted by girls and promising ski reports conspired to stretch the project to a little over seven years.

Flygburen was launched in August of 1993 in Everett, WA. She currently lives in Bellingham, WA where I sail her around twenty days a year.



The Tumlaren design is a delight to sail. Fast, close winded and remarkably seaworthy for such a narrow, light displacement boat. Flygburen is sailed primarily singlehanded and is perfect for such sailing. The beauty of small boats and one sailor is the proximity of lines, controls...

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I have read about your boat on doryman's blog.
    I wondered if you did any modification to the design to have it build cold-moulded instead of in original carvel form?
    The closest thing I have to their plans is from the small scans from the online library of Maritime Museum of Sweden, I wondered where I can get plans for the boat?

    ReplyDelete